Sunday, February 12, 2006

Never-Been vs Has-Been?

This writing business is a tough one and I've come to realize I'm far from alone in my current state. It seems that dropping writers after a book or two or four is not an uncommon occurence these days and a publishing credit doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. I have to face the reality of being a has-been and the possibility that I shall remain so the rest of my days.

So I've given a lot of thought of late to switching my creative focus away from writing and directing it toward my stained glass projects instead. Stained glass is a relatively new thing for me...I've only been at it for a couple of years and I'm just now beginning to get good at it. If I set aside my writing and put that time toward creating stained glass projects instead, I'd get a lot more of it done. And there are several stores in town where I could sell my work on consignment. If the stuff doesn't sell, I can write it off to a lack of talent or a need for more practice. Better to be a never-been rather than a has-been, I figure. And if it does sell, I can once again experience that one-time thrill of the first sale.

And then I'll probably write an article about it and try to sell it to someone.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

If you do that, I hope it satisfies your creative urges. Some people can indeed shift focus. Our friend, Ruth, went from painting to poetry, apparently effortlessly. Terry shifts back and forth between art and writing. I do the same with my acting and writing. Don't know if I could give up one of them.

My guess is that you'll have trouble totally giving up writing. You're very talented, Beth. Wish I were a publisher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home