Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Happy Release Day!


It's finally here, the official release date for WORKING STIFF. Now starts the nail-biting and book signing and agonizing over how sales are doing, what stores are carrying it, and what I can do to convince the stores that aren't carrying it to do so. It marks the start of my obsessing over sales rankings on Amazon and B&N.com. And it means doing something I'm not very comfortable with: self-promotion. I'm not a "look at me!" kind of person, so in the past I've always adopted more of a "look at it!" strategy, drawing attention to the book rather than the author. And since the author is a bit schizophrenic this time, with two different identities, I think I'll stick with this strategy.
Despite all the angst, it's definitely time for celebration, too. This baby was one long pregnancy: eight years from the time I finished writing it to its birth today. During that time it has stayed essentially the same, with little editing other than one or two spots where a phrase was added, or deleted, and a couple of corrections to misspelled (and in one case, misused) words.
It is exciting to know it is now out there and, like a newborn, its potential at this point seems unlimited. But there are no guarantees and like the child who grows up to be a slacker, or a criminal, or a deviant, or whatever other failing you want to pick, this baby may or may not live up to its potential. I will nurture it, of course, to the very best of my abilities and give as much as I can to help it succeed. But its future remains a vast unknown, a fact that is both exciting and terrifying.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Casey Freeland said...

Wooo Hooo! That is so awesome miss. I know about the obsessing thing, although my obsessions have been much smaller. "Come on! Get out of the bottom 2 million! Come on!" LOL!

I'm sure you'll be a hit. And if you force yourself to smile, you will feel better during your signings. Try it. It's not a permanent fix, but if others catch the smile bug, it'll go back and forth and you'll be ecstatic by the time you're done.

And you'll sell a lot of books too!

Trust me, I know from whence I speak. During 12 years in radio I did, maybe, 5 or 6 hundred live remote broadcasts. Maybe more, now that I'm beginning to add up the years. Yikes!

Cheers,

SLC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home