Monday, May 29, 2006

Where Did The Time Go To?

It's been a while (too long) since I posted anything here and once again I'm making a pledge to do better. Life has been pretty hectic of late but I'm hoping for a slow down.

I'm still trying to find an agent but I took some time off from the querying process to do a substantial rewrite of the manuscript. And once that was done I had to do a substantial rewrite of the synopsis. With those finally tucked away, my original query was just screaming for another polish so I spent some time on that, as well. I like the new version much better but I violated the keep-it-to-one-page rule.

After finishing all of that I had this huge party to focus on. Our town has a strong Norwegian heritage and every year it celebrates May 17th (known locally as Syttende Mai), which is the Norwegian Independence Day. On the weekend closest to May 17th, the town hosts a three-day fest of events--it's quite a to-do and our town's tiny population of about 12,000 nearly doubles that weekend. One of the launching events for the celebration is a Friday night canoe race down the river that runs right by our house.

Seven years ago when we first moved here, we watched the nearly 150 canoes go by, cheering, laughing, and having the occasional water fight with a few not-so-serious racers wearing Viking hats and armed with huge water guns. It was a lot of fun and I thought it was a perfectly good excuse to have a party.


So the following year, we had one. And we've had one every year since, each one bigger than the one before. This year we had close to 70 people attend. It was a fun time but a lot of work and I spent the better part of the three weeks before the party getting things ready: creating a menu, buying food, drinks, etc, hunting down dust bunnies and cobwebs in my house, and getting the yard cleaned up and looking decent. Needless to say, writing and other stuff got pushed to the wayside.

But now I've recovered from the party and have no more excuses to procrastinate. I have six freshly revised queries ready to mail out tomorrow. Here's hoping.

And stay tuned for another post (yes! two in one day!) on a current scam agent debacle.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Looks like a lot of fun, Beth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home